Adam specializes in complex business and real estate litigation. He has successfully handled shareholder disputes in closely held companies, as well as business torts, such as unfair business practices, fraud and defamation claims. Adam has particular experience representing inventors in royalty and intellectual property disputes.
His real estate practice includes construction finance, secured contracts, title insurance, guarantees, and lien priority disputes. Adam is also experienced in litigating disputes between homeowner associations (HOAs) and homeowners, condominium associations (COAs) and condominium owners, and amongst neighbors.
Adam routinely wins cases by uncovering favorable evidence through his aggressive investigations and discovery efforts. Because he works closely with his clients to understand their businesses and needs, he is able to roadmap efficient strategies for using litigation to resolve their problems.
Adam is known for crafting persuasive arguments for hearings and trials. He is skilled at drafting clear and concise briefs, motions and other pleadings for cases in trial courts and courts of appeal.
Adam has extensive experience in California, Oregon and Washington State and federal courts, and in all stages of the litigation process, including trial.
Prior to joining Markowitz Herbold, Adam worked at Miller Starr Regalia, California’s preeminent real estate firm. He also served as a judicial extern for U.S. District Court Judge Robert Takatsuki, and as a summer intern at the Department of Justice, Office of the U.S. Trustee in Los Angeles. He graduated for UCLA School of Law where he served as a staff member for the Journal of Law and Technology.
Prior to attending law school, Adam was a kindergarten teacher for the Teach for America program and graduated with a B.A. in art history and psychology from Duke University.
Experience and Affiliations
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2016
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Women Lawyers
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Real Estate/Land Use Section, Oregon State Bar
- Member, Real Property Law Section, California State Bar
- Member, Litigation Section, California State Bar
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
- Member, Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section, Washington State Bar
- UCLA School of Law — J.D.
- Duke University — B.A., cum laude; multiple Dean's List with Distinction awards
- Antioch College Abroad — Buddhist Studies Program, Kyoto, Japan
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, District of Oregon
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Documenting Settlement Agreements: Best (and Worst) Practices
Markowitz Herbold attorney Adam Starr will be presenting on the documenting of settlement agreements during the Oregon State Bar's Fundamentals of Civil Trial Procedure CLE.
Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Rd, Tigard, OR
The Art of Pleading
Designed for young litigators, Markowitz Herbold Attorney Adam Starr will discuss complaints, answers and pre-answer motions in session two of the MBA's Young Litigators Forum.
Standard Insurance auditorium, 900 SW 5th Ave, Portland