Before joining Markowitz Herbold, Anna spent her legal career in the service of Oregonians. In 2003, she joined the Oregon Department of Justice as an Honors Attorney at the Department of Human Services and Division of Child Support. She then joined the Appellate Division, which represents the State in state and federal court cases. At the Department of Justice, Anna moved up the ranks from Assistant Attorney General, to Assistant Attorney-in-Charge, to Deputy Solicitor General, to her 2011 appointment as Oregon’s Solicitor General, a position that directly reports to Oregon’s Attorney General. As Solicitor General, Anna led a team of attorneys, attorney managers and support staff in developing, coordinating and briefing the State’s legal position in appeals in Oregon, and federal appellate courts.
In 2015, Anna decided to honor her true nature and embrace her roots as a legal writer and appellate scholar. She now focuses her energy on developing and writing winning arguments for trial and on appeal. Anna is a member of Markowitz Herbold’s Appellate Group.
Representative cases include:
- Representing the Governor of Oregon in a challenge to the scope of gubernatorial powers to grant a reprieve to a death row inmate; successfully obtained a decision upholding the Governor’s powers in the Oregon Supreme Court.
- Representing the Oregon Department of Agriculture in an employment discrimination claim; successfully obtained a decision from the United States Supreme Court.
- Representing the President of the Oregon State Senate, Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Governor of Oregon and the Secretary of State in a challenge to a plan to hold an emergency session; successfully obtained a decision upholding the plan to hold the session in the Oregon Supreme Court.
- Representing a local Port in a challenge to the Port’s compliance with environmental laws; successfully obtained a decision upholding the Port’s compliance in the Washington Supreme Court.
Anna received her J.D. from the University of Oregon School of Law ranking first in her graduating class. Before joining the Oregon Department of Justice, Anna served as the judicial clerk for the Honorable Rives Kistler at the Oregon Court of Appeals.
Anna has also served as a Lewis & Clark School of Law Adjunct Professor, teaching the Appellate Advocacy Moot Court class. She has presented at numerous continuing legal education classes, including Appellate Tips for Litigators – Planning Trials for Success on Appeal and Preserving Issues for Appeal.
Experience and Affiliations
- Member, Executive Committee, Appellate Section, Oregon State Bar; Chair of CLE subcommittee, 2019
- Member, Board of Directors, Dove Lewis Animal Hospital
- Willamette University, Atkinson School of Management — Certificate of Public Management
- University of Oregon, School of Law —J.D., Order of the Coif
- University of Oregon — B.A., summa cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
2019 OLIO Employment Retreat
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Anna Joyce will participate in a panel discussion about obtaining federal and state clerkships at the OLIO Annual Employment Retreat.
Oregon State Bar, 16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Rd, Tigard, OR 97224
DRI Young Lawyers: Craft Your Brand In Portland
Winning at Oral Arguments: A Live Demonstration
Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Evaluating & Addressing the Weight of Authority Across Jurisdictions
Markowitz Herbold shareholder and appellate lawyer, Anna Joyce, will moderate a panel discussion on weight of authority across jurisdictions for the Federal Bar Association.
Mark O. Hatfield U.S. Courthouse, Jury Assembly
Mastering the Art of Persuading the Trial and Appellate Judge
Join Markowitz Herbold attorneys Dave Markowitz and Anna Joyce as they discuss oral persuasion to the trial and appellate judge. Most trial practice courses focus on jury trial; this program focuses on the trial and appellate judge as the decision maker. Learn powerful practical methods for increasing the chance of winning where the outcome is decided by a trial judge. Designed for lawyers at all experience levels, this program covers basic dos and don’ts and advanced concepts to enhance trial and appellate judge persuasion. Including how to persuade the trial and appellate judge during pre-trial motions, hearing, trial, and post-trial motions.
Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 SW Boones Ferry Road, Tigard, OR
Preserving Issues for Appeal in Oregon Circuit Court
Markowitz attorney Anna Joyce will moderate a panel discussion addressing issues that Oregon attorneys must navigate at the trial court to ensure preservation of issues for potential appeal.
1300 SW Fifth Avenue, 21st floor, Portland, OR