A recent client stated: “Matt Donohue does an excellent job of understanding the business reasons that drive most disputes, and constantly looks for practical solutions to resolve matters expeditiously. His responsiveness is excellent. To top all of that -- he is a great guy that will keep you laughing in even the darkest of litigation hours.”
Matt devotes a significant portion of his practice to defending complex class actions in state and federal court. His recent class action experience includes trying through verdict a client against class action claims for deceptive practices in Washington state court, defending a client against multiple class actions claiming breach of contract in Arizona federal courts, and obtaining dismissal of a class action claim for breach of contract on summary judgment in Washington federal court.
Matt’s other recent experience includes:
- Defending a client against counterclaims for $65M in a two-week trial in Nevada state court
- Seeking multi-million dollars in damages for breach of an oral distribution agreement in Oregon federal court
- Defending a client against breach of contract and fraud claims asserting $18M in damages and prosecuting breach of contract counterclaims for $5M in damages in arbitration in New York
- Defending a client against fraud and negligence claims asserting $14M in damages in Florida federal court
- Litigating claims for breach of a patent licensing agreement in an expedited arbitration in Washington
- Prosecuting minority shareholder oppression claims seeking $25M in damages in both Oregon state and federal court, Nevada state court and in an international arbitration
Matt is consistently recognized as a top trial lawyer in Oregon. He was recently named one of Oregon's top 50 lawyers by Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, and he is also recognized by Best Lawyers in America for excellence in commercial litigation.
Before joining Markowitz Herbold, Matt practiced at Boies, Schiller & Flexner, LLP, served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Neal P. McCurn in the United States District Court for the Northern District of New York, and as a judicial law clerk to New York’s highest court, the Court of Appeals.
Experience and Affiliations
- Super Lawyer, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2013 - present; Top 50 Oregon Super Lawyer, 2015 - present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2015 - present
- Vice Chair, Multnomah Bar Foundation
- Chair, Oregon State Bar, Antitrust Section
- Member, Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, U.S. Supreme Court Historical Society
- Graduate, Leadership Portland, 2010
- City University of New York School of Law — J.D.
- University of Oklahoma — B.A.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
Direct Examination - The Most Important Evidentiary Part of Your Case
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Matt Donohue, and colleague Thomas D'Amore of D'Amore Law Group, will serve as faculty for the 18th Annual Oregon Trial Advocacy College.
Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse, Portland
Mastering the Art of Persuading the Trial Judge
Markowitz Herbold attorneys David Markowitz and Matt Donohue will share practical methods for increasing the chance of winning where the outcome is decided by a trial judge.
Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Rd., Tigard, OR
Trial Techniques, Skills and Strategies
Markowitz Herbold Shareholders David Markowitz and Matt Donohue, along with Chris Dominic, President of Tsongas Litigation Consulting, will conduct a day-long trial techniques course designed to hone your trial skills.
Ambridge Event Center, 1333 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Portland, OR