Jeff has not lost touch with his roots as a lawyer for disadvantaged legal aid clients or with his experiences as a judicial law clerk. Drawing on that background, Jeff brings compassion and objectivity to each client, producing outstanding and efficient results for a diverse clientele. Jeff’s litigation experience also makes him an adept general corporate and transactional lawyer for several hundred small businesses and professional practices.
Jeff is ranked by the publications Best Lawyers in America and Oregon Super Lawyers as a top Portland attorney in commercial litigation and labor and employment law. He is also recognized by Benchmark Litigation Plaintiff's edition as a Litigation Star.
After graduating from the Villanova School of Law, Jeff served as a staff attorney for Delaware County Legal Assistance Association in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he represented indigent clients primarily in bankruptcy, public housing and healthcare. In 1988, he became a member of the Oregon State Bar and served as a staff attorney for Marion-Polk Legal Aid Service in Salem, Oregon. From 1988 to 1989, Jeff served as law clerk to U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge George E. Juba. In 1991, Jeff served as law clerk to U.S. District Judge Owen M. Panner, until joining Markowitz Herbold later that year.
Jeff serves on the board of directors for the Campaign for Equal Justice, which funds legal aid for low-income Oregonians. He is a former board member and membership chair for the Oregon chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and a former board member of the Mittleman Jewish Community Center and the Portland Metro American Heart Association.
Experience and Affiliations
- Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers in America, 2011 - present
- Super Lawyer, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2012 - present
- Arbitrator and Mediator, Arbitration Services of Portland
- Board of Directors, Lake Oswego Corporation
- Board member, Federal Bar Association, Oregon chapter; Membership Chair, 2009 - 2013
- Former member, Multnomah Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee
- Board member, Co-chair of Mid-Size Law Firm Committee, Campaign for Equal Justice
- Lecturer, trade secrets and non-competition agreements
- Villanova University School of Law — J.D.
- Lafayette College — B.A.
Admitted to Practice
- Pennsylvania (inactive)
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
Oregon State Bar Third Annual Labor and Employment Bootcamp
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Jeff Edelson will be presenting on the topic of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
Moda Tower, 601 SW 2nd Ave 17th Floor, Portland, OR 97204
A Luddite’s Guide to Technology Law—Issue Spotting
Markowitz Attorney Jeff Edelson will be speaking on the topic of noncompetes, NDAs and trade secrets during this half-day OSB seminar on Technology Law.
OSB Seminar Center, Tigard, Oregon
Evaluating, Prosecuting and Defending Non-Compete and Trade Secret Litigation
Significant changes to Oregon's noncompetition statute, coupled with the growth of electronic communications and social media, now require fresh and creative approaches to evaluating, defending and prosecuting litigation when employees depart to competing companies.
World Trade Center, Portland, OR
The Fast Track: Litigating the Noncompete Case
This presentation is part of the Oregon State Bar Labor & Employment Sections Annual Seminar entitled "Evolving Issues of Labor and Employment Law in the Modern Workplace"
Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Portland, Oregon
Eight Markowitz Herbold Attorneys Named Oregon Super Lawyers; Seven Named Rising Stars