Joe has experience in all stages of litigation: managing complicated discovery, taking and defending key depositions, arguing dispositive motions, as well as being the lead lawyer in trials, arbitrations and mediations. Joe has significant expertise in cases involving breach of contract, legal malpractice, insurance coverage, unlawful trade practices, breach of fiduciary duty, and the protection of trade secrets. He has been recognized as a Rising Star by Oregon Super Lawyers magazine since 2010.
Some of Joe’s recent experience includes:
- Successfully defended a real estate investment firm against more than 40 investors in a four-week arbitration alleging rescission, fraudulent concealment, breach of fiduciary duty and negligence arising from alleged real estate investment losses of over $20 million. The arbitration panel dismissed all of plaintiffs’ claims at the close of their case-in-chief.
- Represented a national fitness company in a dispute against a commercial landlord. Prevailed at trial and was awarded damages for breach of contract, injunctive relief and attorney fees.
- Obtained a successful resolution of a multi-million dollar international dispute over a medical device distribution contract.
- Defended a client against claims of, and prosecuting counterclaims for, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty in dispute over the term of existence of an Oregon limited liability company. Won partial summary judgment recognizing the client’s right to dissolve the LLC, which led to an advantageous settlement.
- Represented a pharmacy against a former employee in a lawsuit alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference with business relations. The case was successfully settled prior to trial.
- Defended claims for breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, unjust enrichment, interference with business relationships, federal racketeering, Oregon state racketeering and violation of Oregon securities laws. Successfully settled the case in favor of the client.
Prior to attending law school, Joe investigated abuse and neglect of vulnerable adults at long-term care facilities for the State of Oregon.
Experience and Affiliations
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2010 - present
- Member, Oregon State Bar, Bench and Bar Commission on Professionalism
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association, Court Liaison Committee
- Former member, Multnomah Bar Association, Judicial Screening Committee
- Former member, Multnomah Bar Association, CLE Committee
- Member, Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Lewis & Clark Law School — J.D., magna cum laude; Cornelius Honor Society
- University of Oregon — B.A.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Ten Ways to Address the Risk of Litigation in Documenting the Deal
Join litigator and Markowitz Herbold attorney Joseph Franco and transactional attorney Michelle Slater of Michelle Slater Law LLC as they address best practices for minimizing the risk of future litigation in documenting business transactions.
World Trade Center, Plaza Room, 26 SW Salmon, Portland, OR