Lauren represents business clients in complex disputes. She has litigated cases involving partnership and commercial lease disputes, financial elder abuse, business torts, breach of contract, class actions, and professional negligence claims.
Lauren calls upon her formidable research and writing skills to construct persuasive and winning arguments on behalf of her clients. The many examples include a non-solicitation matter where Lauren successfully briefed time sensitive, back-to-back temporary restraining orders in both state and federal court. Lauren has also briefed issues of first impression in Oregon federal court on the medical peer review privilege in an anti-discrimination case, and was instrumental in drafting a nationwide arbitration agreement that has been successfully upheld in multiple states.
Lauren is experienced in all stages of discovery and claims investigation including preparing clients and witnesses for deposition, conducting extensive interviews of witnesses on highly technical subjects, and managing large-scale document discovery. Her work includes trial preparation and briefing as well as active participation in arbitration and mediation negotiations and proceedings.
Before joining Markowitz Herbold, Lauren served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable David Schuman of the Oregon Court of Appeals, where she gained a broad knowledge of Oregon law and an appreciation for the interworking of the Oregon judicial system. Lauren earned her J.D. from the University of Oregon, School of Law, where she was an articles editor for the Oregon Law Review and a tutor for the legal research and writing program. She also served on the board of the Women’s Law Forum and worked as a judicial extern for Idaho Supreme Court Justice Roger Burdick.
Experience and Affiliations
- Co-chair, Oregon Women Lawyers, Roberts-Deiz Awards Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, St. Andrew Legal Clinic
- Member, Gus J. Solomon American Inn of Court
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Co-President, Barnard Alumnae Club of Portland
- Co-founder, Portland Seven Sisters Alumnae Network
- University of Oregon, School of Law — J.D., Order of the Coif
- Barnard College, Columbia University — B.A., History, magna cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Oregon Court of Appeals