Renée’s clients comprise a “who’s who” of regional, national and global business organizations who trust her to protect and advance their interests when the consequences of litigation are often measured in terms of triumph or catastrophe.
Representative jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations
- Breach of contract
- Business torts
- Shareholder disputes
- Trade secrets and unfair competition
Prestigious Invitation-Only Legal Memberships
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL)
- Member, ACTL Federal Rules of Evidence Committee
- Member, ACTL Oregon State Committee, 2014 to present
- Vice Chair, ACTL Oregon State Committee, 2017
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Presidential Appointee, ABOTA National Board 2013 – 2016
Legal Boards and Committees
- Chair, Oregon State Bar Litigation Section; Member, Executive Committee, 2012 - present
- Member, Executive Committee Nominating Committee, OSB Intellectual Property Section
- Chair, Oregon State Bar Business Litigation Section, 2009
- Chair, Oregon State Bar Computer & Internet Law Section, 2007; Member, Executive Committee, 1999 - 2009
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute, Litigation Counsel of America
- Master Bencher, American Inns of Court, Gus J. Solomon Chapter
- Chair, American Bar Association, Self-Insurers and Risk Managers Committee of TIPS, 2002 - 2003
Business and Nonprofit Boards and Committees
- Founder, Rothauge & Kaner Women’s Trial Academy, sponsored by Oregon Women Lawyers
- Member, Pipeline Angels
- Member, Finance Committee, the Arlington Club
- Trustee, Oregon Ballet Theatre, 2005 – 2009
- Educator, speaker and author on trial practice, intellectual property, and technology
Awards and Honors
- 2017 Women of Influence Honoree, Portland Business Journal
- Top 25 Women Attorneys, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, since inception - present
- Top 50 Attorneys, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, 2012 - present
- Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers in America, 2010 – present
- Top 250 Women in Litigation (one of only three in Oregon), Benchmark Litigation, since inception - present
- Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™, 2016
- Class Responder, American College of Trial Lawyers’ Induction Ceremony, 2014
- President's Membership Service Award, Oregon State Bar, 2014
- Outstanding Member Program Award for the Rothauge & Kaner Women’s Trial Academy, National Conference of Women’s Bar Associations, 2015
Publications and Articles
- Author, Declaratory Judgments chapter and supplement, Oregon Civil Pleading and Practice, Oregon State Bar
- Co-author, Intentional Interference with Economic Relations and Related Actions chapter, Torts, Oregon State Bar
- Co-author, Unfair Competition & Infringing on Intellectual Property chapter, Thomson Reuter’s Handling Business Tort Cases
- Author, The Changing Face of ABOTA: The Art of Thinking Independently Together, Voir Dire magazine, June 2015
- Founder and instructor, Rothauge & Kaner Women’s Trial Academy, 2014 — present
- Faculty, ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School, 2016
- Instructor, Evidentiary Foundation Workshop, Oregon State Bar Litigation Institute and Retreat, 2016
- Panel member, Trial Masters Lightning Round, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Annual Meeting, 2016
- Moderator, Patent Litigation in 2016, Featuring Judge Michael Mosman, Federal Bar Association, Oregon Chapter, 2016
- Guest lecturer, Civil Procedure: Trials from the Trenches, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Presenter, Economic and Business Loss Damages, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, 2015
- Presenter, The Mechanics of Creative Fee Agreements, Intellectual Property Institute, 2015
- Presenter, Direct and Cross of Expert Witnesses at Trial, Multnomah Bar Association, 2015
- Presenter, Technology and ESI Post-FRCP 2015 Amendments, Oregon State Bar’s Civil Trial Procedure Course, 2015
- Presenter, Technology and Your Practice, Oregon State Bar’s Civil Trial Procedure Course, 2013
- Willamette University, College of Law — J.D., cum laude, Order of the Barristers, Willamette Law Review, Executive Editor and published author, 25 Willamette L. Rev. 197 (1989)
- Georgetown University, The School of Foreign Service — B.S.F.S., Phi Sigma Alpha
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
2018 Young Litigators Forum: Deposition Techniques
Markowitz Herbold attorney Renée Rothauge will be sharing her knowledge of depositions with the Young Lawyers Section of the Multnomah Bar Association.
Standard Insurance Center Classroom, 900 SW Fifth Ave (cafeteria level)
Evidentiary Foundation Workshop
An exclusive event for members of the Oregon New Lawyers Division, this workshop will be taught by Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Renée Rothauge and the Hon. Janice Wilson, two courtroom veterans.
Skamania Lodge, WA
DAJV Annual Conference on German and American Law
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Renee Rothauge will be participating in an interactive workshop on the topic of Handling Technical Experts in the American Jury System at Harvard Law School.
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA
2016 ABOTA National Trial College at Harvard Law School
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder, Renée Rothauge, will join fifteen nationally acclaimed trial lawyers from all over the country for a week long trial college at Harvard Law School.
Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA
Trial Masters Lightning Round: What to do when the judge doesn't like you or your case.
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder, Renée Rothauge, is participating in Thinking Fast and Slow: The Trial Master's Lightening Round. The session will feature seven lawyers with seven minutes each to say something useful about trial practice. Their only instructions are not to be boring, and not to waste time by starting off with a bad joke.
Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
Patent Litigation in 2016 Featuring Judge Michael Mosman
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Renée Rothauge will moderate a panel event called Patent litigation in 2016 (for the novice to the pro): How recent case law and inter partes reviews have changed the landscape.
The Sentinel Hotel, 614 SW 11th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205
Economic and Business Loss Damages
Markowitz Herbold Attorney Renée Rothauge will discuss economic and business loss damages at the 2015 OADC Fall Seminar.
Electronically Stored Information (ESI) and the New Federal Rules
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Renée Rothauge will speak at the Fundamentals of Oregon Civil Trial Procedures on the topic of e-discovery.
OSB Center, 16037 SW Upper Boones Ferry Road, Tigard, OR 97224
The Mechanics of Creative Fee Agreements: Tips & Traps
Markowitz Herbold Attorney Renée Rothauge is presenting on the topic of creative fee agreements to fellows of the Intellectual Property Institute.
The Resort at Pelican Hill, Newport Coast, California
Direct & Cross of Expert Witnesses at Trial
Join Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Renée Rothauge, Bonnie Richardson of Folawn Alterman & Richardson, and the Hon. Karin Immergut for a panel discussion on techniques and tips for the direct and cross examination of expert witnesses at trial.
World Trade Center Mezzanine Room, Building 2, 26 SW Salmon, Portland