From developing pre-litigation strategies that avoid the time and expense of litigation to trying multi-million dollar cases, Shannon has experience successfully resolving business disputes at all stages. She has first-chaired jury trials, argued key pretrial motions, taken and defended party and expert depositions, and managed commercial class action litigation. Her achievements have been recognized by Oregon Super Lawyers magazine who has repeatedly named her as a Rising Star in business litigation.
Shannon understands successful litigation starts with a strong client relationship. She studies her clients’ businesses, develops litigation strategy based on business objectives, and effectively leads litigation teams inside and outside the firm to achieve those goals. The fact that Shannon’s client list boasts numerous repeat engagements demonstrates her success in delivering a positive litigation experience for her clients.
Shannon has achieved outstanding results for her clients, including the following:
- Prevailed in a two-week jury trial on behalf of a plaintiff LLC in litigation against its former managing-member for breach of contract, conversion, and breach of fiduciary duty, resulting in an award of punitive damages;
- Obtained a complete dismissal of former employee’s whistleblower claims after uncovering discovery misconduct during plaintiff’s deposition;
- Member of four-lawyer trial team that obtained a complete dismissal of 40 real estate investors’ claims for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and negligent misrepresentation on a motion for directed verdict at the close of plaintiff’s case-in-chief;
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of plaintiff’s claims for conspiracy and trade secret misappropriation in complex international litigation; and,
- Achieved a favorable settlement on behalf of nearly 1,000 elderly residents in a dispute against a national senior living provider involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, unlawful trade practices and elder financial abuse.
Shannon is a native Oregonian. She began her legal career as a law clerk for the Honorable Melvin Brunetti at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals before returning to Portland where she clerked for the Honorable Ancer L. Haggerty at the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon. Shannon has been a shareholder at Markowitz Herbold since 2014.
She also serves on the Executive Committee for Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest, a non-profit dedicated to inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold.
Experience and Affiliations
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers magazine
Federal Bar Association, Oregon Chapter
- Board member, Haggerty Scholars Committee (Chair)
Girls Inc. of the Pacific Northwest
- Board member, Executive Committee (Vice Chair)
Multnomah Bar Association
- Professionalism Committee
- CLE Committee, Co-chair (2014-2015); Member (2012-2015)
Oregon State Bar
- Business Litigation Section, Executive Committee (Secretary)
- Legal Ethics Committee, Chair (2014); Secretary (2013); Member (2010-14)
- United States District Court, District of Oregon, Pro Bono Panel
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) — J.D.
- University of Oregon — B.A. with honors in political science, magna cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Associate 101: What I Wish I'd Known When I Was an Associate
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Shannon Armstrong will be part of a panel discussion of tips and tricks for associates to help them on their career path.
OADC Annual Convention, Sunriver, Oregon
Early Dispute Resolution for Business Lawyers
Early Dispute Resolution for Business Lawyers. Learn strategies to effectively and efficiently resolve business disputes before costly litigation is the only choice. Shannon Armstrong, shareholder at Markowitz Herbold, and Nicholas Henderson, partner at Motschenbacher & Blattner LLP, will discuss how to conduct an early dispute assessment, how to prepare and respond effectively to demand letters, negotiation techniques, pre-litigation strategies, recognizing when to involve a litigator, and how to work effectively with litigation counsel.
620 SW 5th Ave #1220, Portland
Calculating and Presenting Lost Profits Damages
Markowitz Herbold attorney Shannon Armstrong, and damages expert Serena Morones, will help you understand lost profits calculations so that you can effectively cross examine an expert.
World Trade Center, Mezzanine, Building 2, 26 SW Salmon, Portland
Advanced Litigation Skills Series: Direct Examination
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Shannon Armstrong will teach direct examination as part of the Young Lawyers Section's Advanced Litigation Skills course.
Standard Insurance Auditorium, 900 SW 5th Ave, Portland
OWLS Rainmaking and Career Development Dinner
Join Markowitz Herbold attorney Laura Salerno Owens as she moderates a panel of women rainmakers, including Markowitz shareholder Shannon Armstrong.
Hotel Monaco, Fifth Avenue Room, Portland, OR
Legal Rights & Responsibilities in California Continuing Care Retirement Communities
Markowitz Herbold Attorney Shannon Armstrong is a featured speaker at this day-long conference and will discuss the firm's recent case Rogue Valley Manor v. Pacific Retirement Services.
McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento, CA
Oregon Women Lawyers' Rainmaking Circle: How to Cultivate Power and Satisfaction in Your Career