Stanton brings with him all of his experience amassed at Sullivan & Cromwell, where he represented a range of financial institutions and other corporations in high-stakes litigation and government investigations, including matters relating to mortgage-backed securities, feeder funds to Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, and challenges to merger transactions. Stanton also has experience representing business and trade organizations, addressing legal issues that pose wide-reaching business concerns. As part of that representation, Stanton has filed amicus briefs in the U.S. Supreme Court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of organizations including the Clearing House Association LLC, the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Stanton capably handles all stages of litigation from case inception through appeal, including legal writing and research; preparing opening and closing statements; preparing witnesses to testify at hearings and depositions; developing strategies for cross-examination; and managing e-discovery.
Since joining Markowitz Herbold PC, he has drafted pleadings, motions and appellate briefs; initiated an arbitration on behalf of a local technology company; and served as local counsel on cases involving allegations of securities fraud. Stanton’s talents as a legal writer are reflected in his most recent role as architect of a masterful arbitration brief in a contentious dispute between feuding owners of a closely held enterprise. Based on that brief, the arbitrator awarded our client possession of hundreds of thousands of dollars in disputed property and an award of attorney fees.
Stanton graduated summa cum laude from Brooklyn Law School, where he served as an articles editor of the Brooklyn Law Review. Following law school, Stanton clerked for the Honorable Ralph K. Winter of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit where he performed legal research and provided written analysis in a broad range of civil and criminal appeals.
Experience and Affiliations
- Member, Race for Justice Committee, St. Andrew Legal Clinic
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Council
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Honoree, Empire State Counsel, 2013-2014
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., summa cum laude; articles editor, Brooklyn Law Review; Geraldo Rivera Endowed Scholarship – Promising Student of Hispanic Background; Charles Evan Fellowship in International Business Law; Arthur Gluckman Memorial Prize
- Oklahoma Christian University, B.S., Business Administration, magna cum laude; President’s Volunteer Service Award; Vice President and Presentations Team, Students in Free Enterprise
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit