Energy and Utilities
Our team brings a powerful combination of in-depth industry knowledge and top trial and appellate attorneys within a boutique go-to litigation firm.
With advancements in technology, our energy and utility clients in the Pacific Northwest are modernizing and innovating all while operating in a highly regulated environment where policies continue to evolve. We guide electric utilities, municipal water districts, and energy project developers through unique regulatory challenges, and we also litigate for them in a variety of disputes and high-stakes arbitrations, regulatory proceedings, court cases, and appeals. For the past 30+ years, we have developed deep relationships with major players, including Portland General Electric, PacifiCorp, and Clean Water Services, who have relied on our keen understanding of these highly specialized areas and our ability to jump into complex disputes and find novel solutions.
Because of the nature of the venues and regulated space in which our utility clients operate, such as state utility commissions and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), they are engaged with agencies, counterparties, opponents and other stakeholders for long periods of time. Recognizing there are many different interests involved, we help our clients achieve their goals in a way that is mindful of those relationships.
We listen to truly understand our clients’ end goals and help craft a way forward that keeps their business objectives at the forefront and minimizes disruptions to their operations. We find solutions that are beneficial for our clients and regulators, whose ultimate role is to serve the greater public interest. We also advocate on behalf of our clients in agency rulemaking to shape new policies or support the change of an existing rule.
Venues where we represent clients
- Federal and state trial and appellate courts
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- State utility commissions
- County commissions
- Oregon Land Use Board of Appeals
- Various other Oregon administrative agencies
- Private arbitration
Types of litigation and arbitration
- Agreements related to utility-owned generation facilities
- Commercial transactions
- EPC agreements
- Hydroelectric licensing and operations
- Interconnection agreements
- Joint-use agreements
- Line extensions
- Municipal franchises
- Power sales agreements
- Property rights
- Qualifying Facility power purchase agreements
- Utility-related environmental issues
- Water rights
- Business litigation such as contract, business torts, fraud, employment, Unlawful Trade Practices Act, class action disputes, and contested cases before administrative agencies