Chad’s clients range from Fortune 500 companies, to startups, to non-profits. Over the past decade, he has focused his practice on representing both plaintiffs and defendants in the following types of litigation:
- Financial fraud and embezzlement
- Fiduciary duty
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
- Breach of contract
- Non-competition agreements
- Professional malpractice – accountants, architects, and attorneys
- Elder financial abuse
- Vicarious liability – institutional tort claims
- International disputes
Chad actively volunteers his time in the community. He is fluent in Spanish and serves on the board of directors of Quechua Benefit, a non-profit organization that helps impoverished children in the highlands of Peru. He also serves as the President of Up & Out, which provides housing and life services to adults with developmental disabilities. In the legal community, Chad has served as Chair of the Oregon State Bar’s Technology Law and International Law Sections.
Experience and Affiliations
- Up and Coming, Chambers USA, America's Directory of Best Lawyers, 2017
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2009 - present
- Chair, Oregon State Bar, International Law Section, 2017; Executive Committee, 2015 - present
- Chair, Oregon State Bar, Technology Law Section, 2014; Executive Committee, 2009 – present.
- Board of Directors and President, Up & Out, Inc., 2008 - present
- Board of Directors, Quechua Benefit, 2015 - present
- Member, American Inns of Court, Gus J. Solomon Chapter, 2008 - present
- Member, U.S.- Mexico Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Multi-law International Academy, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, 2008
- Lewis & Clark Law School — J.D. 2006, cum laude
- Brigham Young University — B.A. 2003
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Oregon Court of Appeals
Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: Dealing with Difficult Clients
Markowitz Shareholder Chad Colton will present at the OADC 2016 Annual Conference on the topic of dealing with difficult clients. Learn tips about how to navigate common client conflicts and difficult situations ranging from the criminal client, to the unavailable client, to the unhappy and hostile client.
Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
Obtaining Foreign Discovery and Offering it into Evidence
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Chad Colton will present on strategies for obtaining foreign discovery and then offering it into evidence in Oregon's state and federal courts.
Stoel Rives, 900 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 2600, Portland, OR
Risky Business: Organizational Depositions
"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!" Learn the unique issues, preparation and strategy for responding to ORCP 39 Organizational Depositions.
Sun River Resort, Sun River, Oregon
Navigating the Pitfalls of an Online Business Presence—What Your Clients Need to Know
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Chad Colton will present on how businesses should respond to online defamation and brand disparagement during this all-day conference sponsored by the Computer and Internet Law Section of the OSB.
Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 S.W. Upper Boones Ferry Rd., Tigard, Oregon
Christensen Group Sues Tennessee Tycoon for Driving Vancouver Business Christensen Shipyards Into Financial Ruin