Chad has taken numerous cases to trial, making him one of the more experienced commercial trial lawyers of his generation. He has handled bet-the-company jury trials in Oregon and in major cities across the country. He also has extensive experience with bench trials and arbitrations. Outside of trial, Chad has resolved hundreds of cases through settlement negotiations or motion practice.
Chad serves in several leadership positions in his community. Currently, he serves as a board member and the president of two non-profit organizations, Quechua Benefit and Up & Out Inc. He also serves as the Chair of the Commercial Litigation Section of the Oregon Association of Defense Counsel. Previously, he served as the Chair of the Oregon State Bar Technology Law and International Law Sections.
Experience and Affiliations
- Up and Coming, Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2017 – present
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2009 – present
- Chair, Oregon State Bar, International Law Section, 2017; Executive Committee, 2015 – present
- Chair, Oregon State Bar, Technology Law Section, 2014; Executive Committee, 2009 – present
- Board of Directors and President, Up & Out, Inc., 2008 – present
- Board of Directors, Quechua Benefit, 2015 – present
- Member, American Inns of Court, Gus J. Solomon Chapter, 2008 – present
- Member, U.S.- Mexico Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel; Chair, Commercial Litigation Section, 2018
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Multi-law International Academy, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2010
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, 2008
- Lewis & Clark Law School — J.D. 2006, cum laude
- Brigham Young University — B.A. 2003
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Oregon Court of Appeals
Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: Dealing with Difficult Clients
Markowitz Shareholder Chad Colton will present at the OADC 2016 Annual Conference on the topic of dealing with difficult clients. Learn tips about how to navigate common client conflicts and difficult situations ranging from the criminal client, to the unavailable client, to the unhappy and hostile client.
Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
Obtaining Foreign Discovery and Offering it into Evidence
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Chad Colton will present on strategies for obtaining foreign discovery and then offering it into evidence in Oregon's state and federal courts.
Stoel Rives, 900 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 2600, Portland, OR
Risky Business: Organizational Depositions
"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!" Learn the unique issues, preparation and strategy for responding to ORCP 39 Organizational Depositions.
Sun River Resort, Sun River, Oregon
Navigating the Pitfalls of an Online Business Presence—What Your Clients Need to Know
Markowitz Herbold Shareholder Chad Colton will present on how businesses should respond to online defamation and brand disparagement during this all-day conference sponsored by the Computer and Internet Law Section of the OSB.
Oregon State Bar Center, 16037 S.W. Upper Boones Ferry Rd., Tigard, Oregon
Christensen Group Sues Tennessee Tycoon for Driving Vancouver Business Christensen Shipyards Into Financial Ruin